Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Telling MY Family

Sage

My older sister Sage was the first to find out.  She lives in Sioux City, IA, which is two and a half hours from us.I decided to call her.  She was so excited she could barely get words out.  She had already started planning a baby shower with me during the phone call.  She has a daughter herself, so I think she was ready for Melanie to have a cousin!

Jamie

Jamie was the second to find out.  Jamie lives in Brookings, SD.  Which is ever farther from us than Sage.  Josh and I were driving somewhere and decided to Facetime with her.  At the beginning of the phone call I said to her, "JJ and I have something to share with you."  She immediately replied, "you're pregnant aren't you?":)  She doesn't miss a thing.  We spoke of possible names, she started by saying, these are the names you can't use:blah blah blah. The funny thing is about half of the names she likes are already on my list!:)  Too bad for her, we get to pick first!

Mom

My mom was a toughy.  She lives near Great Falls, MT.  I really wanted to tell her in a special way.  I had thought to send her two balloons, a blue and pink one filled with notes and confetti telling her to blow them up and pop them to read the contents and the note would say things like "Would you rather have a another granddaughter or a grandson?"  But I got too excited to put that together and wait for it to ship.  So I used a picture that Sarah had took of us the weekend we told JJ's family.  I sent her the image in a picture message while I was teaching.  Two hours later she still hadn't responded so I called my sister Sage to call her and ask her to look at her text messages (my mom is terrible at keeping up with her phone).  She texted me back saying how excited she was.  I was able to call her during my planning period and she was on her way to the store to buy something baby she said.:)

Dad

Dad was easy.  I really wanted to tell him in person, because I knew he would cry, but I wasn't going to see him for another month.  So Josh and I had a Skype call with him.  He did in fact cry.  He had to pause to grab a box of tissues.  He couldn't emphasize enough that he wants me to "eat, eat, eat!":)

My Two Best Friends

Lauren and Kendra!  Plus, of course their husbands.  We decided to go to Kendra's house to watch the super bowl with our friends.  I knew it would be a while until I would see them next, so I begged Josh to plan for that.  He agreed.  I went to Allen's Bakery and asked them to put the picture I had previously sent my mom on an edible fondant page.  They did and it turned out great!  I then bought an Eileen's cookie cake, only the best cookie in the area!:) They put the edible picture on the cookie cake for me.  Josh and I arrived at Kendra's and waited for both girls to be there to expose the cookie cake.  Lauren opened the box and her response was a puzzled "WHAT!?!?"followed with a scream.  Kendra's first response was, "I knew it!"  The excitement was followed by baby conversations and questions.  And of course Trent questioning my diet choices (I was drinking a caffine-free pop).


 Grandma Johnson, Kathy & Sam

Oh boy, these lovely family members found out way out in Arizona.  My Aunt Kathy and cousin Sam were visiting my grandma, the snowbird, in AZ.  JJ sent Sam a picture message of our ultrasound.  He shared it with the two of them.  My phone exploded with texts, calls and emoticons from Kathy.  I knew she would be so excited!  My grandma said she was smiling from ear to ear after hearing the news.  This was short and sweet, but so fun and exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Aww. How cute! Glad you started this and can't wait for you to write about how you told your friends :)

    ReplyDelete